.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

What do I want to do, or be, when I grow up?

In my senior year of High School many years ago, I thought (for a short while) that I would like to join the Navy (Waves) when I graduated. That didn’t last long. I never learned to make goals and work towards them (still don’t). I just lived a day at a time back then, and come what may. If someone would have told me back then that I would religiously be where I am now…I would have laughed at them.

After graduation my Grandma must have been doing some heavy thinking in my behalf. Evidently she did not like my step-mother (I did…she was very good to me) and she thought I needed to get away from home life (or whatever her reason really was…..I don’t remember at the time). Anyway, she made arrangements with the family across the street from us. Their daughter just graduated college and about 5 other of her friends were going to California to be school teachers. I ended up traveling with them in two cars and my grandmother had made arrangements for me to go to the home of her nephew and his family, of whom I did not know.

I stayed with them for a few weeks or so and then they helped me get a car, a job, and a place to live. After several months, I met my first husband and we were married 3 months later.

Anyway, it seemed as though my life was being planned out for me by others after graduation. And after I became so close to my Church and God, I received a personal revelation about my life…and that is exactly what I truly believe that God was doing with this inward, shy, full of potential, young girl. He was leading, guiding and helping her to where he would like her to be…because he had something great for her in her life. And if she did not balk, and “do her own thing”…great things were spiritually in store for her.

Through the years of my life since then, it has been like many, many puzzle pieces of my life that was all coming together and forming a grand picture….mine for the taking!! But not without sacrifice and hard work. We all have the gift of free agency…to choose for our self what we want for our life. Do we want happiness and joy, or sadness and misery?
It all depends upon our choices.